Gary LaPierre Wraps Up 42 Years At WBZ

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Dec 31 19:17:09 EST 2006

At 04:10 PM 12/31/2006, you wrote:

>Well I still can not get over that Carl Moore and The Beantown
>Matinee are no longer on the air (original WEEI); and Ray Dorey with
>The Park Squares (Original WHDH).

Ah but at least one member of the original Park Squares, Don Alessi,
is still alive and even though he's around 90, he still
performs.   Had lunch with him a few months ago and he looked
great!  Jess Cain has been ill, but he too is still with us, and I
have some rare photos of him from the 50s and 60s.  But too bad so
few pieces of audio (or even video for that matter) remain of some of
our legendary broadcasters-- Big Brother Bob Emery spanned the
decades from the early 1920s right up to the early 70s, yet if
anybody has a kinescope of him, I haven't found one.  I have one of
his phonograph records from 1926 (!) but not much else.  I do have
pictures of Ray Dorey and a couple of his 78s.  Carl Moore-- he got
started circa 1932 with "Beantown Varieties" and I have a photo of
him at the piano.  Photos I have.  Sound, I have not.  And what about
the old Yankee Network-- I have their sounder:  "News while it IS
news, the Yankee Network is on the air," and I think a few old
newscasts are out there somewhere...