Heywood Vincent

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Dec 24 16:19:14 EST 2006

I was unaware of Leonard being at CJAD. Possible, though, but if so, he
wasn't there for long, because he was at WGN very shortly after he left
WNAC. He didn't retire from WGN until maybe four years ago after a very,
very long run there. Before WNAC, where he was part of the AM-drive treo of
Roy (Leonard), Jim (Dixon), and Gus (Saunders), Leonard was on WHDH (850).
His program was the Two and Eight Date, heard from 2:00 to 4:00PM and 8:00
to 10:00PM M-F. Several WHDH announcers did split shifts. I believe Bob
Clayton's Boston Ballroom aired from 10:00AM to noon and 4:00 to 6:00PM
(more or less mimicking the schedule of Martin Bloch's Make-Believe Ballroom
on WNEW (AM) in New York). I think Jess Cain's program ran from 6:00 to
10:00AM and Fred B Cole must have been on from noon to 2:00PM and 6:00 to
8:00PM. IIRC, Norm Nathan was on with Sounds in the Night from 1:00 to
6:00AM. That leaves the question of who was on from 10:00PM to 1:00AM. I
don't recall.

After WNAC, Saunders also had a very, very long run doing the brokered-time
cooking show afternoons on WROL. More than likely, he started the cooking
show while 950 still had the WRYT calls and maybe even the WORL calls.

After he left WNAC, Dixon bounced around quite a bit, but mostly I remember
him on various incarnations of 1150, particularly during its several turns
as a country-music station.

--

Dan Strassberg
dan.strassberg@att.net