The Air America / WCRB Problem

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Thu Dec 21 11:26:25 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald A."
To: "Laurence Glavin" , "Barry Cabbage" , boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: The Air America / WCRB Problem
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 19:08:32 -0800 (PST)

> So the fact that so many of them schedule real
> 20th-Century pieces
> that Mario Mazza claimed would empty the room; vocal
> and choral pieces
> even though the above-mentioned groups are
> principally instrumental;
> and underrepresented pieces of famous composers
> while still selling
> tickets on a regular basis year after year belies
> any assertion that such fare is for the cognoscenti alone.

>There are enough "self-styled sophisticates" to fill
>seats.....but all the people occupoying those seats
>are not enough to run a radio station.

I wouldn't want to project a total cohort of people who attend every type
of classical music event in Greater Boston because there's considerable
crossover (including me for example), but talk stations often claim
that the people who call in are a small sample of people listening;
it seems reasonable that all the people who do in fact go to the
trouble of buying tickets, driving, parking, getting baby setters, etc
also represent a sample of those who would like to listen to such music
ON THE RADIO.