Public interest (was: bye bye Boston's progressive talk)

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Dec 17 00:51:56 EST 2006

On 16 Dec 2006 at 11:03, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> Are you "serving the public interest" when you interrupt regular
> programming for news (or pseudo-news), or are you just annoying those
> who tuned in to hear your regular format?  This topic has been hashed
> to death...what exactly is "serving your community"...is it the
> station that's 100% local but has a .5 share or the syndicated station
> with a 10?  You're not serving the community if no one is listening.

I sometimes get annoyed with NECN when they interrupt their usual
news format to cover some long event.  Especially when it's a trivial
event.

I remember getting particularly steamed with them once when I tuned
in to get a weather report, and they were covering some motion
session in Superior Court in the Jon Salvi case.  It was something
extremely routine and meaningless to the case. Not newsworthy at all.
 It was probably even more boring to most viewers than it was to me.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581