Herald: HD Radio Hot, Actual shows are not

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Tue Aug 29 11:34:33 EDT 2006

<<On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:16:31 -0400, "rogerkirk" <rogerkirk@ttlc.net> said:

> Would complaints to "up high" about the quality, noise and possible
> decision to "not listen" make any difference?

Based on what I've seen in the trades, I doubt it.  I think the people
who are pushing IBOC on AM are doing it for "strategic" reasons, and
complaints from "a few cranks and DXers" are not going to make them
change their strategy.

The most intelligent comment I've heard thus far is that the AM
stations should wait until "everybody" has an IBOC radio (about 20
years at the current rate) and then cut direct to digital, avoiding
the hybrid mode entirely.  (If they do that, Barry McLarnon points out
that they'd be better off using DRM rather than the iBiquity system.)

-GAWollman