Herald: HD Radio Hot, Actual shows are not

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Aug 29 10:02:07 EDT 2006

Well, for WEEI, WCRN could be a factor. WEEI's and WCRN's daytime 5 mV/m
contours are very close. If WEEI were to broadcast in IBOC during the day,
the likelihood of serious interference to WCRN within WCRN's 5 mV/m contour
would be quite high. If WCRN were to run IBOC during the day, the likelihood
of serious interference to WEEI within WEEI's 5 mV/m contour would be even
higher because WCRN is directionalized (more-or-less) toward WEEI during the
day, whereas WEEI puts out only a minor lobe toward WCRN during the day. If
WCRN ever were to build out its (now tolled, I'm told) CP for 50 kW-N, and
if IBOC were permitted at night, and if WCRN used it, the interference from
WCRN to WEEI would be even more severe than would the daytime interference.
I think this situation is potentially serious enough that if WCRN were to
run IBOC, Entercom might have no choice but to make Carter an offer for WCRN
that Carter could not afford to refuse. Since WCRN is probably not making
any money, I have no idea how large such an offer might have to be.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367