Tavis Smiley Underwriter

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Sat Aug 26 13:21:04 EDT 2006

Two days ago, when Donna appeared on "The Jim Lehrer News hour", I posted a
message that those who missed the channel 2, NHPTV or Maine PTV showing and lived where
WGBX-TV OTA channel 44 was available could catch the 11 O'Clock or so showing
later.  The approximate time was given because August is extremely-annoying fund-raising
month.  Anyway, I taped the JLNH last night and added time for any delay from the
doo-wop, Andre Rieu or Andrea Bocelli that might have been on.  Well, the JLNH
started promptly at its announced time, so by chance I happened also to tape the
opening of the Tavis Smiley show.  Tavis :) is an African-American (then so is
Massachusetts Supreme Court justice Margaret Marshall but that's another story)
talk show host who focuses on minority issues, so guess what:  among its
underwriters getting a plug before and after the show were WILD-FM and WILD-AM.
The text of the WILD-FM announcement was "Peoples Radio bringing you the
Tom Joyner Show daily"...the WILD-AM script read "WILD-AM News Radio 1090
where knowledge is power" (ok reduced power two hours after local sunrise and
two hours before local sunset and REALLY reduced power until 30 minutes after sunset).
I wonder how much longer these messages will air on channel 2 or 44.  The Tavis :)
show normally runs on channel 2 at 12:30 am.   I'll be taping in the next few days
to see if the underwriting messages for WILD AM& FM remain the same.