Herald: Ch 7 may buy Ch 56

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Fri Aug 18 08:56:46 EDT 2006

All along, the relationship between Mr. Ansin and NBC
has been somewhat strained.  His Miami station WSVN/7
was an NBC affilliate until NBC bought WTVJ/6
(formerly WCIX) and threw NBC on Channel 6, leaving
WSVN with no other choice but to go with FOX or become
and Indie (they went with FOX).  If you recall, WHDH
ALMOST went with FOX, when CBS bought WBZ/4.  But, as
luck would have it, NBC went to Channel 7 and FOX
stayed with Channel 25.

The "VHF/UHF issue" is basically moot now as all
stations (both VHF and UHF) are on cable and
satellite.  So it really does not matter so much
whether a station is on VHF or UHF, as long as it gets
good cable/satellite coverage.  Mr. Ansin probably has
a valid worry.  However, NBC might have to divest one
of their properties (WNEU/WTMU or the WBPX trio) in
order to stay within the ownership rules.  I believe
"i" is owned by NBC.  Who knows.

--- Bob Nelson <raccoonradio@gmail.com> wrote:

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=153367

> "...word in TV land is that Channel 7 owner Ed Ansin
> is making a play
> to buy Channel 56 from the Tribune Co. Leading us to
> ask why, oh why,
> does Ed - whose main holdings are in Florida - want
> to add to his
> stable of Boston stations?
>     There's a rather fascinating answer, according
> to our spies.
>     Seems Ansin is trying to do an end run around
> NBC because he fears
> that the network honchos will buy WB56 themselves
> and move their
> programming there when NBC's deal with Channel 7
> expires."

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts
                           "Scanning the bands since 1967"