KING (FM)

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Aug 13 08:12:04 EDT 2006

Mr Gavin, in his frequent diatribes against WCRB, likes to cite KING 98.1 as
an exemplar of a good commercial classical-music station. I just returned
from a week in Seattle and in my rented car, I listened almost exclusively
to KING. (I could not pick up KING on the little clock radio in my hotel
room not far from the Space needle, so I listened mainly to NPR news and
talk on KUOW-FM 94.9 there. Apparently because of multi-path, reception of
FMs licensed to Seattle wasn't great where I visited--on Harbor Blvd in West
Seattle--on what appeared to be a decent radio in my rented Hyundai Accent.)
I don't have Mr Glavin's refined (some--including me--would say boorish)
taste, but, in many hours of listening to KING, I didn't notice much
difference between it and WCRB (FM). I heard NO vocal selections on KING. I
DID notice one complete symphony (Schubert's second). The music on KING was
very pleasant, but then, so is the music on WCRB.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367