WBUR HD2, put the student station (WTBU) on the HD2 (was Re: WBUR on HD ???)

Aaron Read readaaron@friedbagels.com
Wed Aug 2 11:48:18 EDT 2006

Peter, you know I'm a diehard WTBU alum, and you know I love the way you
think...but you can't be serious!  :-)

Have you ever LISTENED to WTBU?  There's a reason why it's Part
15/webcast only...it's mighty unprofessional.   Of course, a large part
of the reason why it's so unprofessional is because the kids know full
well that nobody's listening; it's a vicious circle.  But a lot of the
DJ's on WMBR and WZBC (and WERS for that matter) are unprofessional,
too...and they're on major signals.

Regardless, WBUR - who's sunk many tens of thousands (nay, 100's of
thousands) of dollars into HD Radio lately - is not going to just
summarily hand over a valuable HD-2 channel to a "bunch of snot-nosed
punk kids".

Overlooking the loss of value, there's also the issue of responsibility;
WBUR is responsible for everything on their signal...including HD-2,
HD-3, etc channels.  So if a WTBU kid were to swear up a storm one
day...WBUR would be held liable.  At $325k a cuss word, I don't think
that's an attractive proposition to WBUR!

All this said, what I *wouldn't* mind seeing is WTBU become an HD-2
channel but also see WTBU absorbed more into WBUR as a joint operation
between WBUR and BU's College of Communication's broadcast journalism
department.  That dep't is a very good one; the professors are good and
many of the students have some real talent.  Make the HD-2 (or maybe
HD-3) channel a more "experimental" one where the stated goal is to
provide a forum for new talent and new ideas (both music and news).  Get
the folks at PRX involved, too...hell, they're just across the river in
Harvard Square.  A lot of it will end up not appealing to stodgy WBUR
listeners, but I'd wager it WILL appeal to a new niche demo, and who
knows?  The next "This American Life with Ira Glass" could come out of
this idea.  Only takes one of those to make up for a 100 other failed
attempts, ya know?   It's sort of like creating a farm system in
baseball...get the kids started in the minor leagues, and as they get
better, bring 'em up to the majors (WBUR's main channel).

Alas, I fear that the suits are so conservative they'd never be
comfortable "letting go" enough for something like this to happen.  Plus
there is the issue that the "major league" isn't profitable enough to
justify the high cost of running the "minor league".  Not when you
consider what a profit center just running two separate "major leagues"
could be.

--

Aaron Read

Fried Bagels - Broadcast Radio & Web