Dick Summer reveals the REAL father of classic rock radio inBoston

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Tue Aug 1 09:42:40 EDT 2006

When I was a teen in the '60s, WTRY was a very well-run Top 40 station,
owned at the time by Kops-Monahan Communications, which also owned [the
similarly well-run] WAVZ in New Haven.  (Mr. Monahan was the brother of my
6th-grade teacher, so I knew all about this stuff.)  WTRY operated basically
as an indie; it had a curious, rather nominal affiliation with Mutual,
running, at certain times of the day, the first couple of minutes of
Mutual's half-hourly newscast and then completing it with local and regional
news.

WTRY's big competitor in those days was, of course, WPTR.  I never did know
which station topped the ratings.  Does anyone have that info.?

WPTR became the Capital District's ABC affiliate in the mid-'50s, as you
attest, but by the time I started listening to Top 40 it was independent.
WOKO had left Mutual and had gone to ABC.  WPTR rejoined ABC --- American
Contemporary Radio, more properly --- around 1968 when the old network was
split into thirds.

Does anyone know what became of Paul Flanagan?  That's a name I hadn't heard
in years.

-Doug