Herald: WBOS has edge in race for Sox rights

John Francini francini@mac.com
Fri Apr 21 10:58:27 EDT 2006

"Say it ain't so, Joe!"

Frankly, I'd *still* prefer the Sox to stay Right Where They Are,
with Entercom, and on WEEI. (Though a simulcast on one of their
strong FMs wouldn't hurt, either, and would nullify the "signal"
advantage of Greater Media's WBOS.

I also would really hate to have the Red Sox have complete editorial
control over what gets said about them on the station carrying their
games. One of the virtues of their being on WEEI right now is that
the talk hosts aren't afraid to criticize or make fun of on- and off-
field Sox events when necessary to hold them to account.

Yes, it makes the Sox brass edgy and nervous.  As they should be. We
aren't "our team do or die" fans; we analyze and dissect everything
-- EVERYTHING -- that happens with this team; we drain the teacup and
then analyze the tea leaves to see what they could possibly mean.

Boston is the last place that needs a 'propaganda machine' for its
baseball flagship radio station.

I'd also like to see the WCRB deal fail, because I would hate to see
the Boston FM dial lose its only full-time classical station.

John