WKOXKS to carry Mike Malloy--live!

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Apr 21 07:45:11 EDT 2006

Just heard the promo for the first time. Malloy airs live on the network
from 10:00 AM to 1:00 AM EDT. Not clear from the promo whether the
Boston-area stations will be carrying all three hours or whether they will
carry only the first hour and move Jerry Springer to 11:00 PM to 2:00 AM and
Majority Report to 2:00 AM to 5:00 AM, ending the Randi Rhodes reruns from
4:00 AM to 5:00 AM. Regardless, it's good news. Malloy is NOT an Ed Schultz
kind of liberal. Nor--in what I've heard in reruns--does he lose control and
start talking gibberish as Rhodes seems to be doing more and more these
days.

For quite some time, Air America's New York affiliate, WLIB, had cut Malloy
back to 10:00 PM to midnight--having brokered out midnight to 5:00 AM. Now
WLIB has extended the brokered time to 10:00 PM, doing away with Malloy's
entire show. Good to know that, for however long Malloy's show lasts here,
Boston (or those parts where WKOXKS is audible at night) will be getting at
least an hour of Malloy live each night.

I don't think I've heard Malloy do any interviews. AirAmerica could sure use
a decent interviewer. Rhodes and Franken don't have interviewing skills! You
don't bring a guest in to get him or her to say what you thought he/she was
going to say and then do all the talking (including interrupting/cutting off
the guest) when you discover that the interviewee is not going to make your
point. Disagreeing with the interviewee is one thing; trying to talk him or
her down is something else; it's WRONG. Randi Rhodes' "interview" of
ex-senator Gary Hart yesterday was a disaster for just this reason. Sen Hart
very politely tried to get her to let him talk and by the end, I think Randi
was suitably embarassed at her own ineptitude, but her embarassment came too
late to save the interview.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367