most important talk show hosts

dslrpierce@peoplepc.com dslrpierce@peoplepc.com
Tue Apr 18 10:54:03 EDT 2006

Donna,

Whether you like the guy or not, Rush Limbaugh is clearly the most
influential talk host of the modern era.  I came into talk radio in 1989 at
WHDH in Boston.  At that time the business was all over the map, with shows
like Sally Jesse Raphael and Bruce Williams and Larry King still the most
recognized names in syndication.  While those of us working in big markets
could be more than satisfied with the talent we could array against each
other, for smaller markets syndicated talk was just a way to fill some
programming time.  Then Rush came along.  Small market stations could now
put something on the air that could generate ratings and revenue, not just
fill time.

In the end, Rush became dominant because he put on an entertaining product
that worked from Bakersfield to Peoria to Boston.  He led the way, and
others followed.  The consequences have not all been good.  While Rush
helped create opportunities for many issue-oriented hosts to get into
syndication, he also helped to change the character of small market talk
radio.  It now became easier to go the syndication route (althought this
process would probably have gone foward anyway, driven by marketplace
realities).

I would argue that the reality of talk radio across America today has been
shaped in no small measure by Rush Limbaugh, which makes him the most
influential talk host of our time, both in terms of the issues he talks
about on the air, and his mere presence as part of the industry.

Dan Pierce
Small Market PD/Talk Host - WGIR-AM, Manchester, NH
Big Market Producer/Talk Host - WHDH, WBZ, Boston, MA
Medium Market Talk Host (from time-to-time, when they will have me) -
WPRO-AM, Providence, RI