Boston Globe on WERS / WCRB - some clarifications

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Tue Apr 11 19:23:53 EDT 2006

It's a commonly uttered sentiment that music in general, and classical
in particular, are disappearing from the non-comms.   But there are
denizens of 88.1-91.9 world that play nothing but classical and seem
to be enjoying success doing it.  I took a few minutes to peruse
the playlists of WGUC in Cincinnati and WNIU in Rockford, IL,
and listeners to these stations are able to listen to much more
varied and intelligent fare than around here (unless you live within
WHRB's coverage area.)  I think it will be interesting to check out
rrconline.org after the next Boston book comes out and see if WGBH-FM
made ANY gains since its replacement of 9 hours a week of music
with repeats of shows already heard on WBUR.  Tht hasn't kept WGBH-FM
from running promos on channel 2 highlighting the classical hours they
do air currently...such promos started just after I noticed that WCRB
ran an ad inside the Boston Symphony program booklet alerting the
world that this year's "Classical Cartoon Festival" would be its last.