Boston Globe Item on WERS LMA Proposal

John Francini francini@mac.com
Mon Apr 10 23:30:08 EDT 2006

>Also, I believe that the legal advice the board has
>gotten, is that they simply have to require that the
>new owners carry Classical music on one of their
>multicast streams.
>
>Because in a literal reading....."WCRB will indeed
>continue to play  classical music." (albeit on one of
>their HD channels.)

No, but even at the time that was written I'm sure the _implied_
meaning was for it to play classical music on the *primary signal*.
WCRB has run a business of playing other formats (including
background music) on their SCA channel for quite some number of
years, well back into the 1970s.

(I remember working at an Osco Drug-Turnstyle department store in
Quincy in the mid-to-late '70s whose in-store PA music was fed from a
"WCRB Sound Systems" box.)

I would think that if this takeover had happened back then, the idea
of putting the classical music on the SCA channel would be as much of
a non-starter as putting it on a digital (but not necessarily HD)
channel is [to me] today.

"Original intent" might make for an interesting line of argument in court.

John Francini
--
----
John Francini <mailto:francini@mac.com>