Boston Globe Item on WERS LMA Proposal

Sean Smyth ssmyth@suscom.net
Sun Apr 9 21:39:46 EDT 2006

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 20:24:38 -0400
 "Doug Drown" <revdoug1@verizon.net> wrote:
>"My understanding was that the Jones Trust was set
>to expire in 99 years (starting, it appears, in 1979, so that
>would be
>2078), or if the classical format were to become uneconomical
>to operate."
>
>If that's true, then as far as I can see (granted, I'm a
>layman), there's no
>way this sale can go through.  WCRB is turning a healthy
>profit, is it not?

Like Garrett said, the beneficiaries aren't precisely known to
us. I'm thinking some court-house document hunting could solve
that problem, if someone were so inclined.

A few years back, The Milton Hershey Trust floated the idea of
selling Hershey Foods, of which it owns a majority share. The
argument was that the trustees were looking out for the
long-term health of the beneficiary of the trust, Milton
Hershey School. Well, the trustees were tarred and feathered by
the school alumni and a good deal of them resigned. I would
think that if there were a similiar type of beneficiary in the
case of the Jones Trust, that we would've heard about it by now
-- especially since WCRB is, apparently, a profitable
operation.