Boston Globe Item on WERS LMA Proposal

Sean Smyth ssmyth@suscom.net
Sat Apr 8 11:49:35 EDT 2006

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 11:40:34 -0400
 Shawn Mamros <mamros@MIT.EDU> wrote:
>One wonders if Greater Media might approach any of the other
>colleges
>in the area that have stations.  Some of their boards might be
>more
>receptive to such an offer.  (I wouldn't be, though... ;-)

Seems like Mr. Smyth (no relation to me, I may add) approached
WERS since he's on the Emerson board.

One the one hand, I can understand the frustration of classical
music lovers who are disappointed with WCRB's demise. But
classical music fans are often at the higher end of the income
scale, and they are more likely to have access to an audio
stream or satellite radio to fill their classical needs.

I still have a gut feeling (don't know why) that commercial
classical won't totally disappear from the Boston dial.

Not saying this will happen ... but I could see an Ed
Perry-type melding WATD-style community programming and
classical music. Of course, the station wouldn't be a
full-time, full-market classical signal.