Boston Herald Reports Imus A Short-timer on 969 FM Talk

David Tomm nostaticatall@comcast.net
Mon Sep 12 02:30:24 EDT 2005

IIRC, Imus signed a five year contract with WFAN/Westwood One when Mel
Karmazin was still with Infinity back in 2001.  I would think that deal
should be running out by now, unless it was reworked when the show
moved to the MSNBC studios.  Considering his cost and diminished money
demo ratings not only at his affiliates but at WFAN as well (so the
story goes) maybe he will finally hang up the cans.  The only thing
still keeping him on the air is the publicity he gets for the Ranch and
the money generated by the yearly Radiothon.  Now that he originates
the show from MSNBC, theoetically he could be dropped by Westwood One
and WFAN and still continue on TV.  If Imus loses Boston and there have
been rumors that Providence (WHJJ) may follow suit--two of his biggest,
most durable markets, it could be the end of the line for the
I-man....at least on the radio.

Despite having Imus, WTKK has emerged as a formidable competitor to
WRKO for the conservative talk audience over the last few years.  Maybe
a local morning show will bring the station to the next level and land
the crushing blow to The Old, Tired Talk Station on 680....

--Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"