WCRB Installs Temporary Antenna; Back to Stereo

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Wed Oct 19 16:52:18 EDT 2005

I sent an e-mail to WCRB about their weakend signal and monaural sound;
I expected a wry retort from former BRIGger Rob Landry, but someone
identified only as Roberta  replied and said that as of today, a
new temporary antenna is now in use, allowing them to go to stereo
transmission at something close to their normal power.  Reading
between the lines, I infer that they went monaural so as not to
lose coverage area.  I trust their SCA's for background music
were still running.   She said that representatives from American Tower
were on the scene to plan a permanent replacement.  More stormy
weather is predicted for the coming weekend, so it probably
won't happen until after then.  This morning WCRB was still on
monaural mode only, but now (as of 5:00 pm) it's in stereo, although
the Trio Sonata by one of Bach's offspring (C.P.E.) they were playing
when I auditioned the frequency didn't benefit from stereo sound all
that much.