WSMN 1590 AM Nashua NH is back on the air

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Oct 17 21:25:39 EDT 2005

Are they transmitting from the WSNH site? 100W or maybe a little more is
possible during the day but I don't know about nights. For days, they really
need a site north of WSNH to be allowed enough power to cover Nashua. To
some extent, of course, anything goes with STA operations, and STAs can last
a long time. WSRO 1470 ran on STA for several years, but I think the day
power was around 300W, which was enough to be licensed, provided that the
station delivered 5 mV/m day to substantially all of Marlborough. My
impression is that WSMN can't get enough power (250W) from the WSNH site to
be licensed or to deliver 5 mV/m over enough of Nashua to be licensed. The
problem is that more power without a directional antenna will create
prohibited overlap with WUNR and probably with WARV. A site further north
might solve these problems without the use of a directional antenna. But
we're talking here about enough power to get a license--never mind enough
power to produce a signal that anyone besides radio geeks will listen to.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367