WBZ's new 'style'

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Oct 2 01:02:17 EDT 2005

On 1 Oct 2005 at 12:36, Laurence Glavin wrote:

> How about what has become a sound-effect cliche for an interruption:
> the sound of a phonograph needle being dragged acroos the grooves of
> an LP? And some NPR show use the sound of a typewriter when they read
> listener mail, most of which is e-mail.

I think that many of our symbols are perpetually behind the times.  When I was a child in the
1950s, I remember seeing comic-strip police officers wearing star-shaped badges and helmet-
like hats and cars that looked like something out of the 1920s.  Dagwood wore garters to
hold up his socks.  Mutt & Jeff were wearing white gloves well into the 1960s or 70s, and
Mickey Mouse still wears them.

Vinyl disks are still used for some purposes for special effects by modern rock bands, and I
think today's kids probably know what they are.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581