Red Sox Spanish Network Announcer J.P. Villaman Has Died

Mission Control miscon@miscon.net
Mon May 30 18:21:06 EDT 2005

This type of thing is always such a shock - I work as a part-time engineer for SBN here in Boston (they're also now in Tampa and Philly). Only because of illness was I not down there with them this w/e. We are all stunned.

For the record, the Red Sox have had Spanish broadcasts since 1989 when Hector Martinez and Bobby Serano called the games for the Red Sox Hispanic Radio Network broadcast across the Carter Radio Network stations.

Ken Carberry, who hired Villaman (when Martinez left) said this evening, "J.P. always had a smile on his face. He loved baseball and he loved people. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends."

The Spanish Beisbol Network is currently owned by William Kulik.

Still carried on WROL, and is also the SAP for the telecasts.

Not meaning to be ghoulish, just thought you'd want the straight scoop.

damn.

Mike

Mike Wilkins

From: "Mark Watson" <markwats@comcast.net>