DXing the Middle East

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Sat May 21 15:01:28 EDT 2005

<<On Sat, 21 May 2005 14:43:51 -0400, "Joseph Pappalardo" <joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com> said:

> Regularly?  Wow...

> I guess you would need to null out KB and WWZN.

The guys who do this use a Beverage antenna, and frequently an
external phasing box as well.  From down on the Cape, 1510 would not
be a problem (it's easily knocked down with a good filter and
sufficiently off-axis anyway), and the Beverage has a high
front-to-back ratio (it was designed specifically to provide a way to
pull out signals in one direction while nulling the opposite
direction).

> Anyone know what hours would be best (taking into account bothe here and
> there?)

Winter around sunset is the best.  I used to get Algiers on 891 on an
ordinary receiver in Brighton until Dedham came on.

-GAWollman