Recommended Reading

Daniel Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Sat Mar 19 09:54:58 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donna Halper" <dlh@donnahalper.com>
To: "Daniel Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>;
<boston-radio-interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: Recommended Reading

> Not really. Most call themselves "progressive" rather than liberal,
> although individual hosts may call themselves liberal.  Btw, some
> conservatives do in fact use the term, but more common is the word "right"
> (as in 'from the right', or puns like 'he's got the right stuff').

My point was I am  not aware of talk stations that promote themselves as
only have hosts from a right or conservative or Republican point of view.
There are plenty of stations that have hosts that are primarily from a right
of center point of view but they usually have other shows that do not fit
that profile.  For example,. in Portland, the most successful talk station
is WGAN.  They carry Rush, Howie Carr, and Bill O'Reilly but they also have
a liberal co-host of the morning show and a liberal local host on Saturday,
plus they run Joy Browne and other shows that are not political.  Air
America is promoted as an alternative to traditional talk stations, but by
providing hosts all from one spectrum it is significantly different from
most traditional talk stations.  There is nothing wrong with that but it is
a point that seems to be missing from coverage of Air America.