WCAS (was WCOP circa 1961 aircheck)

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Tue Mar 15 18:23:21 EST 2005

On 15 Mar 2005 Dan Strassberg wrote:

> I believe the first buyer who stepped to the plate was a minister who
> wanted to program Black gospel music. However, the locals jumped in
> and insisted on a buyer who would provide programming oriented to the
> local community, and they got the FCC to reject the application for
> transfer of control. Ultimately the protesters formed their own
> company, Wickus, which bought the station. But when Wickus went belly
> up several years later, a minister (same one who tried to buy the
> station earlier? don't know) DID buy it and DID program Black gospel.
> Bob Bittner bought the station when the minister went bankrupt.

Actually, the way I heard it, it was someone else who went bankrupt, but the minister was
allowed to run the station under the auspices of the bankruptcy trustee.  The minister tried
to buy the station and bid on it, but never came up with the money.  When the bankruptcy
court ran out of patience with him, Bob got it.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                   617.367.0468
15 Court Square, Suite 210          lawyer@attorneyross.com