WCOP circa 1961 aircheck

Mark Laurence mlaurence@mindspring.com
Tue Mar 15 17:42:52 EST 2005

I don't know too many specifics, but I was working for a station owned by Mel Stone during part of this time (WGUY, Bangor, Stone Communications) and he also owned WCAS, either fully or partially.  He was in the process of getting out of it and happy to be done with the headaches.  This was in the mid '70's.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Strassberg <dan.strassberg@att.net>
Sent: Mar 15, 2005 4:31 PM
To: Doug Drown <revdoug1@verizon.net>,
	Boston Radio Interest <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Subject: Re: WCOP circa 1961 aircheck

I'm sure Kaiser-Globe took the little AM because Mr Lyman wanted out of
station ownership and offered the three properties on an all-or-nothing
basis. It was probably a case of don't take the AM; no sale. It was probably
also a case of keeping the AM on the air being cheaper, when all costs were
considered, than trying to sell it. Ultimately, though, they DID sell it, to
Wickus Island Broadcasting, right? And if you recall, that involved quite a
fracas. This is how I remember it; somebody should check my "facts," because
they may be fiction!