Is the Boston Herald replacing Dean Johnson?

radiotony radiotony@comcast.net
Thu Jun 16 23:44:31 EDT 2005

Unless the paper is $7 million in the hole and the older reporters won't
take a pay cut to stay. However, Purcell has been starving CNC for years -
the real money maker of the operation - while throwing money at the Herald
and making it more tabloid, which is losing him money. While he didn't want
to do this - cut staff - he should have done it right after 9-11, and pumped
more money into CNC. Instead, he went the opposite way, and it has cost him.
As well, CNC was overpriced at $160 million. He has been able to renegotiate
the notes but the investors aren't happy with the meager 2 percent returns
during this recession. Now, he is back in the hole ...

Best,
Anthony Schinella
Program Director/News/A&E
WKXL 1450 AM/Concord, NH
http://www.wkxl1450.com
http://politizine.blogspot.com

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Donna Halper
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 8:12 PM
To: Larry Weil; boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: Is the Boston Herald replacing Dean Johnson?

>Larry asked--
>Is Dean qualified to report on all media, or is he strictly a radio and
>music reporter?  I noticed today's Herald had a two page spread of
>media stories in the business section.  Perhaps they want someone who
>will approach media from more of a business viewpoint.

Dean has done general reporting as well as music, business, pop culture, and
media criticism.  I really think this is all about the benjamins-- the older
reporters made more money and had better contracts, so as management sees
it, let's save the salary and bring in newer and younger people who will do
the job for less.  Now, I am all for having new people with new
perspectives, but throwing aside all of the experience and institutional
memory (and discipline) of the veterans strikes me as being penny wise and
dollar foolish.