CBS-FM dumps the format

David Tomm nostaticatall@comcast.net
Sun Jun 5 19:54:46 EDT 2005

WCBS-FM came in eighth 12+ at last check.  They were hardly "tanking"
in the ratings.  Of course, if you're talking about 25-54, where the
money is,  then you'd be right.  Like many oldies stations, their
billing has been stagnant or declining for the last several years.
Once the station parted ways with legendary personalities like Harry
Harrison and Dan Ingram, there wasn't much left to save.  They tried
"younging up" the format to include 70's and some eighties, but the
younger demos never came to the party and the core audience resisted
the changes.  In LA, Infinity switched it's classic rocker to Jack
awhile ago, and the result is that sister oldies station KRTH has taken
the bulk of the ratings hit.  That's why they switched their oldies
stations in New York and Chicago to Jack, as opposed to putting the
format on another frequency and watching CBS-FM and WJMK die slow,
painful deaths.

Like it or not, Jack is the new "oldies" format that traditional oldies
couldn't evolve into.  Eventually, I think Jack will need jocks, but I
firmly believe this format is not a fad.  People thought that Hot AC
and Alternative were "fad formats" in the early 90's but they wound up
becoming mainstays in most markets.  If "MIke" doesn't get it's act
together, it won't work, but the real Jack stations do.  Despite the
existence of WMKK, II wouldn't be too shocked if WODS went Jack, but my
guess is that unless the billing there is really bad, it won't happen
anytime soon.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"