WXKS-AM At Low Power; Are They Installing WILD transmitter?

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Sun Jul 31 17:02:53 EDT 2005

> From: "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com>
> To: boston-radio-interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org, Ed Hennessy
> <n1pba@juno.com>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 22:23:52 -0400
> Subject: Re: WXKS-AM At Low Power; Are They Installing WILD
> Transmitter?

> I haven't noticed any change in the WXKS signal, but I have noticed
> a rather strange bit of
> interference, when I'm driving on Route 2 in Lexington, near the
> Waltham Street exit, WXKS
> fades totally, and some other station comes on in its place.  I
> haven't stopped to listen to
> what it is, I just switch over to WKOX.  I'm generally at that
> location once a month, around
> noontime, for a lawyers' lunch in Lexington.

What's probably happening there is your radio is most likely being
overloaded by WTTT 1150, which transmits from the four-tower array
(the tallest one being the inactive old 100.7 FM tower) directly off of
Route 2 at the Lexington/Belmont/Waltham line.

I know that 1150 is not near 1430 on the dial, but so close to a 5 kW
transmitter, interference from it could pop up practically anywhere on
your AM dial.

Also, I don't think WILD has moved yet. Perhaps they may be prepping
the WXKS site, but I don't think they've moved. I was told that when they
move, WILD will use a new transmitter that will no longer transmit their
AM stereo carrier, and will eventually (or sooner) go IBOC. The C-Quam
AM Stereo pilot is still on (though the modulation feed is mono), so they
are probably still on the old transmitter.

Eli Polonsky