HD radio?

Joseph Pappalardo joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 16:42:06 EST 2005

My understanding is that AM will/can sound like FM...

   ....and FM can sound more like playing a CD.

The abilitiy to send out extra information streams, etc.

If your audio is delivered by the data stream, then you eliminate the
static, hiss, pops and fades that are now "mixed in" with the analog signal.

>>How can we listen to it (sideband)?

Just like when people had to start equipping their cars with FM...and then
Stereo...people will have to want to shell out some dollars to pick up a HD
radio.  They are on the market now.

http://www.ibiquity.com/hdradio/hdradio_wheretobuy.htm

>> If it's messing with the analog quality, then, is it worth it?

I don't think the damage to the analog signal is as much as people in this
and other forums indicate.  I don't know that the issue of analog signal
degradation has ever been brough up in a focus group or other
consumer/listener surveys.

However, I believe the major broadcasters that are retooling for this,
believe that this is the future of radio....and are willing to start
investing in it.  (Ulinke those guys that 'gave away" their FM stations
because FM would never "catch on".)  ;-)

http://www.ibiquity.com/technology/index.htm

Benefits of iBiquity Digital's HD Radio technology are:

Enhanced sound fidelity.
Improved reception.
Upgraded audio quality.
New advanced application services offering new features and information for
consumers everywhere.
A seamless conversion process for the nation's 12,000 radio stations to move
from analog to next-generation digital broadcasting.
A unique opportunity for broadcasters and listeners to convert from analog
to digital radio without service disruption, while maintaining current dial
positions of existing stations and brand equity.
All of these enhancements to local AM and FM radio are designed to better
serve the listening public while offering tremendous growth opportunities
for broadcasters, manufacturers, retailers and automotive manufacturers.
iBiquity Digital's HD Radio technology is a method of:

Digitally transmitting compact-disc-like quality audio signals to radio
receivers along with new wireless data services such as station, song and
artist identification, stock and news information, local traffic and
weather, and much more.
Using the current radio spectrum to transmit AM and FM analog simultaneously
with new higher quality digital signals.
Eliminating the static, hiss, pops and fades associated with today's radio
caused by conditions known as multipath, noise and interference.
Allowing radio broadcasters to send audio and data content via digital
signals on the existing AM/FM bands through the more efficient use of
existing bandwidth.
With iBiquity Digital's IBOC-based HD Radio technology, radio receivers and
other consumer electronics will support:

"Backward and forward" compatibility, allowing them to receive traditional
analog broadcasts from stations that have yet to convert and digital
broadcasts from stations that have converted. Current analog radios will
continue to receive the analog portion of the IBOC-based broadcast, allowing
for a smooth transition to a digital world. In fact, specific features have
been designed into iBiquity Digital's IBOC technology to improve the
existing analog reception during the "Hybrid Mode."
As the market reaches maturity, broadcasters will transition out of analog
broadcasts and offer "all-digital mode" in much the same way that television
stations did with black & white programming. As a result of our digital
architecture, enhanced services such as increased data capacity, surround
sound or other multi-casting solutions can be made available across this
unused bandwidth.