Has anyone else noticed WBZ's unlistenable signal

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Tue Jan 18 18:38:54 EST 2005

At 04:43 PM 1/18/2005, Garrett Wollman wrote:

>Almost all radios have envelope detectors (or some variation
>thereupon).
>
>The IBOC sidebands are transmitted 180 degrees out-of-phase,
>superimposed on the upper and lower analog sidebands of an AM
>station.  An envelope detector will sum the two sidebands, cancelling
>out the IBOC

But, if the radio is not perfectly tuned to the stations, won't the
sidebands be unequal in level, leading to incomplete cancellation?  Also,
should the I.F. bandpass of the radio be not perfectly symmetrical,  won't
the same thing happen?

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH