WWNZ-1400 on air

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Jan 16 14:30:50 EST 2005

At 02:21 PM 1/16/2005, Dan Strassberg wrote:
>WBME Belfast was on 1230 also. Before WBME, there was a 1230 in Bangor, WGUY
>(for Guy Gannett), which changed its COL to Brewer, moved to 1250, and
>became a 5-kW daytimer. Wasn't this station the one that eventually moved to
>1200 and even later became WNSW before being sold to Fairbanks and taken
>dark in the by-now at least 15-year-long battle to upgrade WKOX? And what
>about Calais (WQDY)? Wasn't that also on 1230?

Yes, yes, yes and yes. WGUY moved to 1250 sometime in the sixties, I
believe, clearing the way for WBME to sign on. WBME was gone by the early
nineties, and 1200 in Brewer didn't last much longer. Both were silent by
1995 at the very latest.

WQDY endured until just last year, when it went silent to prevent an
ownership-limit problem when its owner added the 102.9 signal to his
existing WQDY AM-FM. (And WALZ-FM in Machias, too.)