Air America's night signal

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue Jan 4 22:35:23 EST 2005

>The big question for Air America is, will liberals and other interested
>political junkies continue to tune in with the passion they showed in the
>first month?

Only if they can hear the station so that they can make an informed
decision about whether they like it or not.  Unfortuntely, after sundown,
many of us cannot hear the station, as I discussed earlier. The ratings
that get published are usually the simple 12+ numbers, with no mention that
in some cities, the signal Air America got stuck with is so tiny that just
about nobody can receive it, while in other cities, it's dominant and
powerful. SO even when ratings come out, they may not tell the whole story
for a while.  The fact is that playing field is still not level, with
conservative stations much more able to get their message out.  So many
markets are still one-sided in their presentations of opinion, and it will
be interesting to see if Air America (and Jones, which syndicates Ed
Schultz and Stephanie Miller) are able to get onto some big signal
stations-- then we will get a better idea if there is a market for that
other point of view.  Meanwhile, I notice that some shows on AA seem more
confident and more professional, and a lot more entertaining than they did
six months ago.  Getting the point across is one thing-- doing it in an
interesting and entertaining manner is equally crucial if AA is to survive.