Air America's night signal

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Jan 4 18:05:14 EST 2005

WXKS's night signal is equivalent to 3 kW at an azimuth of 54 (arc) degrees,
which is the center azimuth of the pattern--that is, the azimuth of a line
between the two towers. At zero degrees (due north), the signal is
equivalent to 2 kW. Those equivalent-power values assume that you use WXKS's
pattern RMS of 319.7 mV/m/kW @ 1 km as the radiation produced by the actual
antenna-input power of 1 kW. Another means of reckoning the equivalent power
normalizes to an RMS of 281.7 mV/m/kW @ 1km, which is the RMS
inverse-distance field from a minimum-efficiency radiator for a Class B
station. (Such a radiator would be approximately 56 electrical degrees high,
whereas WXKS's towers are taller than 100 electrical degrees.) If you use
the lower figure for the 1 kW-equivalent signal, you get higher equivalent
powers of about 3.75 kW at 54 (arc) degrees and 2.55 kW at zero (arc)
degrees.

I don't know what WXKS's NIF (nighttime interference-free) contour is. My
guess is that it's in the neighborhood of 50 mV/m. Fortunately, the short
distance between 99 Revere Beach Parkway and the nearest points of land in
Everett is covered by salt water, so you can use the inverse-distance rule
to compute the signal strength at the water's edge in Everett. I'd be
surprised if that distance were more than 500' (1/6 km) at the closest
point. So WKXS probably puts a nighttime signal of about 2V/m over the
closest point of land in Everett. From there, the signal strength drops off
at something between the square and the cube of the ratio of the distance to
1/6 km. I calculate therefore, that the NIF contour lies approximately 2.5
miles to the northeast. I suspect that nearly all of Everett lies within the
NIF contour. But the signal should be quite listenable at distances at least
twice as great and maybe even further.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367