Wall Street Week/Fortune

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Feb 13 18:04:14 EST 2005

<<On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:53:16 -0500, SteveOrdinetz <hykker@grolen.com> said:

> I see it being like cable/satellite tv.  Been around a long time, yet
> broadcast tv is doing just fine.  I don't see this "exodus" you're talking
> about.  Don't believe the hype.

Is it?  How many people get their TV over the air these days?  5% of
the audience?

Right now, the only reason for existence for 90% of broadcast TV
stations is guaranteed cable/satellite carriage.  (Digital TV had a
chance to change that, as recently as three years ago, but failed
utterly in providing content viewers were actually interested in
receiving -- in contrast to the UK, for example, where Freeview is
serious competition to cable and satellite in communities where it's
available.)

-GAWollman