Wall Street Week/Fortune

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Sat Feb 12 23:51:46 EST 2005

On 12 Feb 2005 at 9:42, Damon Cassell wrote:

> Satellite is to radio what the MP3/iPod craze is to the recording
> industry. MP3 came out of nowhere and blindsided the record companies.
> It's a serious threat to their business model. XM and Sirius both went
> on the air, what, 3 years ago? And they are now mentioned in the same
> breath along with MP3 and iPod. This is a huge threat to the radio
> industry. Well, in reality, the biggest threat to radio is radio
> itself. Radio will go down trying to save a failed business model,
> probably with lawsuits and anti-competitive legislation. Like the way
> they are trying to force the FCC to prohibit satellite radio from
> providing traffic updates. Same silly games the recording industry
> plays.

Some of these things remind me of how newspapers tried to prevent radio from carrying
news in the early days.  They finally relented, and radio was allowed a once-a-day "press
radio news" report.  This gradually changed and completely changed by the start of World
War II.  After the war, there was a similar conspiracy to keep television out.  It became
routine at news events for print and newsreel photographers and reporters to be allowed, but
television to be excluded.

This came to an end rather abruptly in June 1952, at General Eisenhower's first major
campaign press conference.  As usual, television crews were to be excluded, but William
Paley said that CBS was sending a crew, and the Eisenhower campaign was going to have
to throw them out.  The Eisenhower campaign quickly relented, and NBC also sent a crew.