Mentioning the Competition's Call Letters???

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psu.edu
Sat Feb 12 14:51:40 EST 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:42:24 +0000, Donna Halper wrote:
> I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time!) but didn't Bill Lawrence
> work for WEEI a long time ago?

Indeed. He worked for WEEI at least until the sports changeover in 1991. He may
have stuck around awhile afterward doing hourly news updates (which they still
had in the early days). Some other guys at the time were retained as producers
(Bill Lee comes to mind) after the flop. Was WEEI union then? Maybe they had to
keep those guys on to fulfill the contract.

> I have heard a number of d.j.'s mistakenly
> use the call letters of a former station out of habit-- I recall in the mid
> 60s when Jefferson Kaye left WBZ for WKBW in Buffalo, and his first night
> on the air, he used the WBZ call letters several times, and got really
> upset with himself when he did!

I've done it a number of times, albeit on a much smaller level (with a lot fewer
listeners).

Live radio; gotta love it.