The demise of WSMN

gic gary@garysicecream.com
Tue Feb 1 18:48:03 EST 2005

It is with a tear in the eye that I acknowledge the demise of WSMN.  While
certainly not my most favorite station that I ever worked at (1972) it WAS
the station where the owner (Al Rock) paid for me to take classes and get my
1st Class FCC License (remember those days).

My favorite memories of WSMN were "the stick" that we had to use to hit the
plate button on the transmitter.  Don Ayers
(cough...cough...cough...hack..hack)  warned us all NEVER to touch the metal
on the transmitter - "Use the wooden stick and you won't die" - made me feel
safe when I walked out to the "sunporch" where the transmitter lived.   And
the day that Al's daughter (Barbara Rock) made her debut as a news
reader.....her first story was about someone who had been "in-dick-ted" by
the grand jury  - she pronounced indicted phonetically.

Barbara Rock (and former WOTW's Jeff Kerouac) are the parents of Kristin
Kerouac of Hometown Forecast Service (heard nationwide).

-gary f