102.5 to Spanish? Nahhh.....

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Dec 19 19:31:25 EST 2005

On 18 Dec 2005 at 10:48, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> > Does 102.5 offer better coverage into Boston or vice versa?
>
> Oh, very much so.  That's why 102.5 is a $100M signals and 99.5 is
> thought to be worth much less than that -- it's the difference between a
> Waltham station and a Lowell station.  (One fly in the ointment for
> Greater Media, however, is the 10.7-MHz IF taboo which prevents 102.5 from
> moving to the Pru.  But 102.5 transmits from FM-128 in Needham, where
> Greater's Pru stations all have backup facilities, which is at least more
> convenient to the Dorchester studios than 99.5's transmitter on Wood Hill
> in Andover.)

On the other hand, some newer cheap radios have trouble picking up the 102.5 signal.  I have
at least two radios here in Brookline that get WCRB with great difficulty if at all. It sometimes
gets a bit difficult in my office, too, though it tends to be better since I brought one of my better
radios in to the office.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581