HDTV

Matthew Osborne mattosborne1976@yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 21:57:04 EST 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 09:01:46 -0500 Garrett Wollman
wrote, in reference to visible pixellation on digital
TV signals (analog AND DTV) with little to no color
contrast:

> In any event, it's also an indication of an
> over-compressed signal, as
> when certain public broadcasters try to run PBS HD
> and a full slate of
> multicast feeds on the same multiplex.

I have seen this phenomena as well, but I've noticed
that its MUCH more pronounced in digital versions of
standard analog NTSC signals.  Another "flaw" in the
HDTV codec that I've noticed is that it has a rough
time handling shots with extremely quick camera
motion.  I've noticed this most clearly in football
game and NASCAR race telecasts.  Whenever the camera
has to move very quickly, you can see a weird form of
pixellation on the picture that is hard to describe.
Based on my experience as a computer programmer and
dealing with various digital audio/video codecs, it
appears to me that its an underlying issue with the
codec itself and not of the quality of the DTV signal,
although I am by no means a professional engineer in
DTV technology and could be wrong.

                                     Matt Osborne
                                     Schenectady, NY