Bids Due For Charles River Group

David Tomm nostaticatall@comcast.net
Sat Dec 3 02:12:18 EST 2005

I could be wrong, but didn't the FCC relax the cross-ownership rules
for companies holding both radio and television interests not too long
ago?  Infinity only has 5 signals (4FM's and WBZ)  because they also
owned WBZ-TV and WSBK.  If the rules were indeed loosened, they may be
able to squeeze another FM into their portfolio.  Also, the radio
division of Viacom was recently separated into it's own separate
company (the new Infinity.)  In the eyes of the FCC, Infinity with the
radio properties and Viacom with the TV stations may now be considered
separate entities, allowing for Infinity to add WCRB.

So is Greater Media.   5 FM's in a major market is the maximum one
company can hold.  They would have to spin off an existing FM to come
into compliance.  None of their signals are real dogs (signals, not
formats) so I can't see them overpaying for WCRB just to spin off
another property for much less.

Entercom is probably bidding as well, since both of their FM signals
are suburban rimshotters.   They would also be the only company out of
the big four in town with any interest in Charles River's Cape Cod and
Rhode Island stations.  However, they are also trying to acquire the
ABC stations right now so they may not have the capital to outbid the
other heavy hitters for WCRB.

Clear Channel  would love to add another FM to it's cluster, and they
have the resources to make a competitive bid.  With Kiss, WJMN, and a
soon to be 50K WKOX, adding WCRB would put them on par with the other
operators in town.  Out of the four, I think they have the best shot to
land 102.5--if Charles River is indeed serious about selling.

--Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"