the old days: Jess Cain

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Aug 28 11:39:10 EDT 2005

At 08:49 AM 8/28/2005 -0400, Dan Strassberg wrote:
>The Richmonds had a second station in the DC area--an FM almost two decades
>before FMs became successful and profitable--WRNC (FM) licensed to Oakland
>MD. Maybe WRNC eventually became WPGC-FM. Since Infinity now owns WPGC (AM),
>I doubt that there is a WPGC-FM anymore; the calls have doubtless been
>changed.

Dan - you're in danger of turning into Joseph Gallant with all these
"doubtless" statements about things that can easily be fact-checked! ;-)

WPGC-FM is not only still on the air, it's usually at the very top of the
DC ratings with its R&B format. An earlier owner (Gannett, if memory
serves) *did* change the FM calls for a while in the late 80s, to WCLY
("Classy 95"), but the WPGC-FM calls were restored a few years later.
WPGC(AM) ran business news for a few years, but is now doing black gospel
and faring quite well, for a niche format.