the old days: Jess Cain

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Sat Aug 27 21:32:35 EDT 2005

On 27 Aug 2005 at 19:55, Donna Halper wrote:

> Maxwell (Mac) and Richard (Dick) owned WPGC in Washington DC back in
> the AM top 40 era.  (If you are from greater DC, you recall that WPGC
> was jokingly called the Pig and the other major top 40, WCAO in
> Baltimore, was called the Cow.) I believe Dick Richmond had a legal
> background.  Mac was a businessman.  He was also notoriously cheap, as
> many who worked for him will attest.  They bought WMEX from the Poté
> brothers in the summer of 1957 and proceeded to turn it into a major
> force in top 40, home of Arnie "Woo Woo" Ginsburg and many other
> famous (and nearly famous) jocks.  The place was a revolving door--
> low pay and Mac meddled in everything-- but for a time, it was quite
> influential in breaking new music.

Strange how the subject of the Richmonds should come up now, since just last night I was
thinking about them and the old "new WMEX."  WMEX 1150, in the 80s, tried but never
managed to capture the flavor of the original.  It wasn't just the music, it was also the zany
things the DJs used to do between the records and the commercials, which gave the station
is special flavor.

I've heard that the Richmonds weren't easy to work for, and I've even heard that they didn't
much like rock & roll music themselves, but somehow they managed to attract some great
air talent and put on a station that was a lot of fun to listen to for many years.