Herald: WBZ fires Jonic after FBI story flap

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 11:22:29 EDT 2005

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=96528

The Herald reports that longtime WBZ reporter Flo Jonic was fired
yesterday after the station refused to run the story she did on
potential security flaws at the FBI's Boston office (AND
after she expressed her displeasure in a memo to the entire newsroom staff).

Interesting situation here: "(t)he FBI told WBZ that reporting such a
story would be reckless and could put lives in danger". What's more
important, our security or freedom of the press? I'd hate to see our
adversaries take advantage of info like this getting out (security
flaws at the fed agency) but there's also a chilling effect on the
press. As the talk radio expression goes, "there's a slippery slope
here..."