air america

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Wed Aug 3 14:50:49 EDT 2005

At 11:51 AM 8/3/2005 -0500, Luke Steele wrote:
>I think the future of public radio lies in stations like KCRW. We've got to
>move beyond this mentality that classical and talk are the "supreme"
>offerings of public radio.

What stations like KCRW and WFUV and WXPN do is outstanding - no argument
there. But their listenership doesn't come anywhere close to what the big
public radio news-talkers do. Within public radio circles, it's well known
that the news-talk audience gives by far the most at pledge time, followed
(distantly) by classical and AAA audiences. Jazz listeners are by far the
stingiest, for reasons only they can explain.