air america

radiotony radiotony@comcast.net
Tue Aug 2 23:07:40 EDT 2005

I would agree with this point in a big way, in both music and talk.

How many Rush clones were there after he first started getting a slew of
listeners? If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say to me over
the years, 'Oh, you're in radio? My nephew has a cable show and wants to be
Rush Limbaugh ...'

How many Nirvana clone bands were there after they hit big? After every
small wave of bands which get successful there are a slew of copycat bands
being thrown against the wall like a plate of spaghetti in "The Odd Couple"
to see what would stick.

Unfortunately, it is just the way it is. And I don't necessarily mind if it
is the music business, the book business, or the newspaper business. If I
want to put out my own CDs, I can [and have]. If someone wants to write a
book and self-publish, they can. Anyone can start a newspaper or a Web site.

But with radio and television, the airwaves are limited and owned by the
public. The airwaves should be more accessible to as many points of view as
possible. My arguments aren't just about liberal versus conservative,
although in talk right now, it is overwhelming conservative. But I also feel
there should be a better job done by public radio which is exceedingly
corporate and stale, while being targeted as supposdly liberal. I look at
NHPR, one of our competitors, which has a budget of more than $3M a year and
has very little local content.

Best,
Anthony Schinella
Program Director/News/A&E