AirAmerica will no longer be on Sirius

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Sat Apr 16 09:06:47 EDT 2005

SteveOrdinetz wrote:

>  rogerkirk wrote:
>
>> This points up the real handicap that Satellite Radio labors under:
>> Each station has a different radio.  As long as they continue that,
>> IMHO they won't get the traction they need.  Probably end up being
>> another VHS/Betamax contest where only one format wins.  It also
>> discourages others from enetering the field.  A radio that received
>> both XM & Sirius (as well as other future services) would help push
>> the format forward.  Of course, I might as well wish for world peace
>> while I'm at it.  It will be interesting to see what the "free
>> market" does with this in the next 10 years.  WI-MAX just might make
>> it obsolete.
>

> If, of course coverage is any better or more reliable than cellphone
> coverage.
>
> What about dual-mode receivers?  I doubt any technical hurdles would
> be difficult to overcome though the legal ones might be thornier.

 From what I've read, the FCC has mandated the dual mode receivers.
Sirius is pushing it and XM is dragging their feet on the technology.
They're supposed to be out in two years or less.

It would make since for XM to lag on this as they have a subscriber base
that's roughly 3x that of their competitor.  Why expose your customers
to a potential alternative?

In the interest of full-disclosure, I am an XM commercial dealer.

Brian Vita