...Havlicek Steals It...

Hakim Madjid hmadjid@gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 01:13:10 EDT 2005

On 4/15/05, Sean Smyth <ssmyth@psu.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:53:48 +0000, Hakim Madjid wrote:
> > Most's call remains, in all probability, the most famous play by play
> > call ever transmitted before or since over the Boston airwaves.
>
> Doubtful.
>
> " ... and it gets through Buckner's legs! [Then in soft, forlorn tone...] And
> here comes the winning run ... "

Sorry, I'm not sure a failure such as the Buckner episode counts as a
great moment in local sports broadcasting. Keep in mind, when
"Havlicek stole the ball", the Celtics where the hot team in in this
town, they were in the midst of their incredible 8-in-a-row NBA World
Championships, a sports dynasty that inculded 11 of 13 World
Chapmionships from the mid 50s to the late 60s. It's a record umatched
by any other local pro sports franchise. All this was way before the
1967 Red Sox 'Impossible Dream Year', the Stanley Cup - winning 'Big
Bad Bruins' of the early 70s. The Pats at the time were just another
struggling AFL franchise, not the 3 of 4 Super Bowl winners of today.

Go Nittany Lions!

73 de Hakim (N1ZFF)