WLLH Lowell tx

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Tue Apr 5 16:58:42 EDT 2005

Twice I drove by the Lowell tower to assure myself that it was
off;  this entailed having the Lawrence operation on for a while,
and I must say that the sound is rich and clear.  Hispanic recordings
seem to be less processed that Anglo pop fare;  there are acoustical
instruments like trumpets (LOTS of trumpets), trombones and
acoustcal guitars.  This is weird:  for all the fame of pop divas,
that is FEMALE voices, most vocals seem to be performed by one-
or-more males, some in the high tessitura of their range. Anyway,
I'm now of the opinion that the Lawrence transmitter in the Cregg
Building must be a fairly good piece of late-model equipment.
I'm sure that in the past it may have been a Heathkit(tm) unit
that went down a lot, but it's possible that the new owners
figured that Lawrence was worth the investment in good-sounding
equipment, or in the final years of the Anglo Wireless-Talking
Machine era, the previous owner spent a buck or two.